Monday 8 April 2013

Poem - Look at Me

I thought I ought to just get these out there without making much of a fuss. If you're interested in it, feel free to read, but again, it's a non-Christian poem, written to describe that feeling of empitness (I have a fair amount of poems on similar topics to this but didn't really want to share them as they're not my Christian, prayer-type poems, but they still show my journey so maybe they're relevent, I don't know).



Look at Me

 When you look at me
Look into my eyes
Past the mask I wear in public
And really see me

Tell me, what is it that you see?
Is it the little girl, trapped inside
The body of a young woman?
Longing to get out so that she can
Experience all the things she missed out on
All those years ago.

Or do you see what I want you to see;
A strong, independent woman
Who never falters, never struggles.
Who cries only in the most extreme of circumstances.

The truth is, even I am unsure
Of which is the real me.

Some days I feel like the fragile little china doll,
Where even the smallest of provocations
Will shatter me into a thousand pieces
That can never be put back together.
A real life Humpty Dumpty.

Only very occasionally do I return
To the grown up world where the mask
Is glued firmly on and my emotions
Are locked up in the safe that is my heart.

Have you ever wondered, half-heartedly,
Why I enjoy walking in the rain?
Why I spend such a long time in the shower?

Nobody sees the tears when it’s raining.
Nobody hears the body-heaving sobs
Over the sound of the dripping water.



Copyright - Lisa Davies, July 21st, 2010.
If you use or distribute this work, please keep it in its entirety, and link back to this page so that the appropriate credit can be given. Also, please let me know if you do use any of my work, just as a courtesy. It's great to have feedback :)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment