Monday 8 April 2013

Poem - Emptiness

This poem documents the start of my true Christian journey - not as a child who knew of God, but as an adult, after having been away from God and just returning to church, and feeling, for the first time, a touch of the Holy Spirit, stirring something within me. The confusion but amazing lightness I felt was difficult to capture in words but I tried.


Emptiness


I used to feel lonely; alone in the dark
I used to long for loving arms to envelop me in unparalleled warmth.
I used to sit for hours, covered in salty droplets from my glistening eyes
I could never have guessed what the emptiness was;
Where the hole inside my body had stemmed from.

One evening the tears flowed, betraying me
And the smile I relied on for so long to conceal myself.
These tears were different; wetter somehow,
Almost lighter and more refreshing.

 I sat in confusion, not knowing why they had appeared this time.
My nemesis; these tiny drops of water coming from within myself
Coming from a place that my smile couldn’t fool
Coming from, dare I say it, God Almighty?

But why would He be interested in me?
Why would He force these tears, these somewhat kinder tears,
Out of my young eyes?
Why, when I thought of Him was I somehow happier, more satiated?
Could He be what was missing from my life?
Could He really be the deep, intense yearning I feel within my chest and my stomach?
Is He reaching out His hand, asking me, His wayward daughter,
To take it and return home; another chance?

I already knew God. I knew Jesus; a great man – the son of God.
But He wanted me to know Him more.
He wanted me to truly know Him;
An intimate relationship with the One who created me
My Gepetto, my Father.

Only when I could understand, could gather my tiny little mind around Him wanting me as much as I needed Him, did I accept Him fully.
I could feel the tears draining from my body; could feel my soul expanding
My heart mending.
The void inside me filling.

Jesus Christ came into my life and now
I’m never alone.


Copyright - Lisa Davies, October 11th, 2010.

If you use or distribute this work, please keep it in its entirety, and link back to this page so that the appropriate credit can be given. Also, please let me know if you do use any of my work, just as a courtesy. It's great to have feedback :)




No comments:

Post a Comment