Sunday 21 April 2013

Altar Calls and Prophesies

I had an amazing morning at church today. Not because the worship was great (which it was) or because the guest pastor was great (which he was) but because the Lord turned up.

I'm not going to lie, I've had something of a dry season, spiritually. It's not for lack of desire, I don't think. I don't know why it is. I think on the one hand, I don't answer the altar call in fear of people thinking, "She goes up every week" - I used to go up for every single altar call, just desperate for another touch. I don't know what happened, somewhere down the line I lost my boldness, my confidence.

From wayofthepastor.blogspot.co.uk
Another thought running through my mind is, "What if the preacher has someone specific in mind and I just run up there?" I don't want to take someone else's place - I know that God has plenty of provisions, but my answering an altar call might make someone else think, "Oh, maybe it's not for me after all".

When I did go up for prayer, some part of me was still on edge and I haven't really felt a proper touch of the Spirit for such a long time. 

This morning, though, I did answer the call. The message was about condemnation and how in Christ Jesus, there is none, but the enemy will continue to condemn us. There were several altar calls and the Lord spoke twice; the first time to tell us that He loves us and there is no condemnation, and the second time to say, "You still don't get it, do you?!"

As I was standing there at the front, eyes closed and totally surrendering myself to the Lord, not even daring to speak, just saturating myself in His glory, I felt myself starting to shake. I felt such a powerful touch of the Spirit, something I haven't felt in a long time. Adrian, the visiting Pastor, prayed over me and gave me what I believe to be a prophesy (I think you all know by now, I'm still fairly confused and very cautious of claiming things without confirmation).

He gave me Nehemiah 3 and went on to say something along the lines of: 
"You used to look for other people to lift up your arms. You're 
going to be that person for others. You will see souls brought 
to salvation. You'll heal the sick. You'll lift up the arms of 
others and lead them. No longer will you look for 
others to carry you; you'll carry them." 

The Sheep Gate. Background image from baptistjerusalem.com

I came out of church feeling amazing, but confused. Had I just received my calling? But there wasn't a word or title. As I said before, my Mum was given just the word, "Evangelist" - I assumed that's what it would be like. It seemed today, though, that I had been told what to do, but not who I am or what to call myself. 

It might not have been my calling; it may have just been a broad, general prophesy. I read the scripture he gave me and it confused me even more! It talks about walls being built and repaired. It seems to be some kind of metaphor but if I'm being totally honest, I'm just as confused as ever. I wanted to chat to him after the meeting but I was conscious my mum was waiting outside for me (I had to take her to get her new contact lenses).

So again, I come to you, my wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ, and ask if any of this means anything to you? Can you shed any light on this for me or is it more of a personal thing, which I'm just going to have to meditate on? We all know that I struggle to hear God's voice, and I'm so grateful that He spoke to me, by proxy, today - in a way that I could acknowledge, even if I couldn't fully understand it!

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment