Wednesday 23 July 2014

Poem - Only Now



Only Now

So now that I am different
I realise my own mind
I realise the thoughts I once had
Were not my own

They belonged to others
They were thoughts that were
Embedded in my mind
Masquerading like a foreign spy

Pretending to come from my own heart
When all along they were the result of
A brainwashing
That I had come to know as my life.

And it is only now
When I look back on my past thoughts
That I can see.

I can see how different I was
How much has changed
Since that time when I was
Too scared to be myself

I was too afraid to step out in my own beliefs
For fear of rejection or ridicule

It is only now
That I have come to learn about myself
I have come to know who I am
That I can accept my own thoughts
As the truth.

I can understand the yearnings in my soul
And no longer have to hide them
Behind the ideas of others

I can speak out for myself
And do not have to be afraid

I have been given this gift
Of freedom


Copyright - Lisa Davies, July 8th, 2010.

If you use or distribute this work, please keep it in its entirety, and link back to this page so that the appropriate credit can be given. Also, please let me know if you do use any of my work, just as a courtesy. It's great to have feedback :)


No comments:

Post a Comment